January 30, 2009

Mail

Hey all, no time for a long post before my class starts, but I wanted to update with my mailing address. It's the address of WARC, not my house. Awa gave me a letter that had safely arrived and I just took the address off of that, so hopefully this is right:

Kiersten Rooke
West African Research Center
c/o WARC/CROA BP 5456
Dakar, Senegal

There's no zip code. The really important part is the boƮte postale. I think if that number (5456) plus "Dakar" gets on there, whatever you're sending should get here. Letters will come right to WARC, but if you're sending a package, I'll get a notification and have to go pick it up downtown, which is not a big deal.

In other news, there is no peanut butter to be had in all of Senegal. Peanuts are one of their main crops here, and you can buy bags of peanuts every few yards on the main roads, but no one has decided to mash them up and make sandwiches out of them.

I think I'm going to a SuperBowl party this weekend. One of the girls here is from Pittsburg and is going to die if she doesn't see the game, so she found out where we can watch it. I guess there's a Marine base around here somewhere and they're throwing a big party for Americans in the area. I don't know if they'll be quite prepared for about two dozen extra guests to show up, but my guess is that they're not going to be too bothered to have a flock of 20- to 22-year-old girls joining them to watch sports and drink.

7 comments:

  1. Oh What a relief! Sure, I was a tad concerned that my only daughter was in Africa by her lonesome, but now, No Worries! She'll be partying with the Fightin' Jar Heads of the USMC, Dakar. I just hope their still only looking for a few good men.
    But really, what's all that compared to the Peanut Butter Crisis?
    Skippy Fidelis.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, this being an academic blog, I should have written "they're", not "their."
    The horror...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the weirdest dad ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't mock my pain. This peanut butter thing is a real issue for me. And I am mocked everyday by peanut that are not butter. The Nuttella type spread that we eat at breakfast every day is not chocolate with hazelnut . . . it's chocolata with peauts. And just like I can't taste the hazelnuts in Nutella, I can't taste the peanuts in Chocoleca. But there they are, the main ingredient. It's maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post inspired me today to eat a Penut Butter and Banana sandwhich. It was delicious.

    So since you're in the future, could you tell me who wins and the final score? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kiersten
    I just caught up on several blogs--you're writing so well and everything is so interesting. Caroline is studying Africa and had to choose a country to become intimately familiar with--of course she chose Senegal!!! Your information will be great for her report--no one has told you there has been a salmonella outbreak in the U.S. from a peanut factory-seriously, no one here would eat peanut butter or anything made with peanut paste at the moment--it is SO hard not to have the food you know and love--I am in complete sympathy on the chocolate thing! Cathleen really suffered even in Scotland with the strange food--the day you return to your kitchen in Holden I know the rest of the family should hug the walls and watch spellbound as you reaquaint yourself with the contents of an American refrigerator and its cupboards--when Cathleen did that her first visit home Caroline and I were blown away!!! Stay healthy and well love you Auntie M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom, you wrote way too much.--Caroline

    ReplyDelete